Improper posture of your body when standing or sitting affects health to a much greater extent than it may seem at first glance. Why is healthy sitting important, and how to sit at the computer?
Back pain while sitting or tension in the neck and shoulders are just some of the consequences of not following ergonomic principles when working with a computer. If you ignore these symptoms for a long time, damage to the musculoskeletal system, such as the hip joints, may occur. Or, as a result of overloading the muscles of the neck and back, inflammation occurs, which can eventually result in painful arthritis. The carpal tunnel also occurs more and more frequently among computer workers.
However, the position of the body when sitting and standing also affects the mental state. Suppose you sit hunched over with drooping shoulders. In that case, the sternum collapses, the back arches back, the ribs pull together, and the chest narrows, making it impossible to breathe deeply and supply the body with enough oxygen. It manifests itself in irritability, headaches, and concentration disorders.
Healthy sitting at the computer or ergonomics of the work environment
Lower back pain while sitting is far from the only consequence of improper sitting at the computer. The human body is made for movement, so it is important to take a break every 30 minutes, stretch, or take a walk. If you don’t do this, you risk other health problems, such as varicose veins, hemorrhoids, excess weight, or anxiety.
Of course, in addition to this, the ergonomics of the work environment is essential, which consists of observing the principles of healthy sitting at the computer, for example, with the help of using ergonomic aids when working with the computer. What is important?
Adjust the height of the table and chair.
Each of us is unique, which is why proper table and chair height adjustment is key to healthy sitting. For this purpose, you can use calculators to calculate table height, which are commonly available on the Internet.
For example, if you are 170 cm tall, then a table at a height of 63 to 65 cm, a monitor at a height of 117 to 119 cm (its upper edge), and a chair height of 40 to 42 centimeters are suitable for you. In this way, you will ensure the ergonomics of your work; that is, you will adapt the working environment to your needs.
Adopt ergonomic seating principles.
Ergonomic workplace requirements are a necessity today, as an ergonomic workplace is associated with better health, greater mental well-being, and better performance.
From the employee’s point of view, it is essential to adopt the principles of healthy sitting and apply them in practice every day. A healthy sitting at the computer looks like this:
- The spine is straight, and the shoulders are straight. Avoid leaning forward or leaning to one side. The upper and lower part of the back touches the chair, so try to maintain the natural curve of your spine, which ergonomic chairs will help you with.
- Office chairs must have backrests for healthy sitting. Thus, the hands are placed on the supports parallel to the floor, and the elbows are at a right angle. Keep your shoulders relaxed; do not hold them high or in a forward bend.
- The feet are placed flat on the ground with the knees at a 90-degree angle. Here, too, you can use ergonomic aids, such as a foot mat for the office.
- The middle part of the monitor is approximately at eye level and at arm’s length. You can also achieve the correct position by using a laptop or monitor stand.
- Healthy sitting is about observing ergonomic principles when working with a keyboard, mouse, and telephone. The correct position is also important when typing on the keyboard. Remember to keep your upper limbs in the shape of the letter L, elbows on the armrests of the office chair, and make sure to keep your wrists supported when writing. In this regard, ergonomic keyboards and mice, wrist rests, and mouse pads are invaluable.
Support healthy sitting in the office with healthy chairs.
There is no single right way to achieve healthy office seating, as each of us is unique. If, for some reason, a classic ergonomic office chair does not suit you, look for healthy chairs.
You can recognize healthy chairs at first sight by their unique design. The manufacturers of these products guarantee benefits such as the activation of abdominal muscles or the elimination of back pain. What is important, they are suitable for sitting in the office all day.
A fit ball can also ensure healthy sitting in the office because it forces a person to hold the body correctly while the back and abdominal muscles are strengthened. If you prefer this option, choose an ergonomic sitting ball instead of a classic fit ball.